Sunday 29 January 2012

Trees

This is a picture of the tree in front of my house.  I absolutely love trees, in all seasons.  Recently I have begun to look at the form of trees in the winter and I appreciate their stark beauty.  On my walks with my dog I often  notice the different  forms and shapes outlined against the sky.  This simple, bare beauty is hidden in the spring and summer  when we admire the leaves and blossoms.  Trees give us so much -  shade in the summer,  protection frmm the wind  in the winter. They  freshen the air, protect the topsoil, provide a home for birds.  Some trees give us  fruit and nuts,   but what I  most grateful for in the winter  is their simple, stark,  still presence.  Some trees in my neighbourhood are quite old, people come and go, but the trees are there, doing their job, fulfilling their purpose. I often think of trees as silent, sentinels of stillness.  They teach us lessons too : to have deep roots and a strong core, but also to be flexible and bend in the wind.  I love the children's book - The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein - it really talks about gratitude, giving  and not taking things for granted..
In gratitude,
Marg


No comments:

Post a Comment