Wednesday 25 April 2012

Nietzsche Quote

 
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be  insane by those who could not hear the music.  Nietzsche
I came across this quote from Nietzsche and though not specifically  about gratitude - for me  it speaks to  being aware of the music in our lives, appreciating it and joyfully responding to it.  The Nietzsche quote reminded me of another similar quote by  Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it.

How many times have I driven home after a busy day of work and not noticed the beautiful sunset, or the lilac bushes blooming.  How many times have I rushed out the door, wrapped in my mind, oblivious to the chirping music of the birds?  If I am not aware of the music, the flowers, how can I be grateful for them and how can I respond joyfully?  When we do awake to all the wonders that surround us, others who do not hear the music,  many indeed think us insane.   I remember when I was a student  in my twenties, it was pouring rain and one of my fellow students  put on his bathing suit and danced joyously in the rain.  I thought he was insane...perhaps it was I who was insane not to join him.

What makes you sing or dance in your life?

In gratitude for the music in our lives in whatever form or shape it takes..
Marg




No comments:

Post a Comment