Saturday 22 December 2012

Grateful for Freedom

I am currently reading Winter of the World the second part of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy.  The story takes place during the years leading up to and including the second world war.  Although it is fiction I am confident that it  accurately depicts the situation  during those years.  Reading about the atrocities  committed under the communist and fascist regimes made me realize how fortunate I am to live in a democracy where:

I can openly speak my mind;
I can easily put a variety of good food on my table;
I can go to the hospital and receive excellent care regardless of my status;
I had a good job and pension;
I can choose to worship  if I so desire;
I am not afraid .

Those days of oppression and repression seem so far away, yet many people n this world still live under such regimes.

In gratitude for  the life  and freedom I have in this country,
Marg


No comments:

Post a Comment