Tuesday 17 July 2012

Gratitude unexpressed

There is no such thing as gratitude unexpressed, if it is unexpressed, it is plain old-fashioned ingratitude. Robert Brault


When I read this quote - it made me stop and think.  At first it seemed rather harsh, and then, as I read it again, I started to reflect about what it meant to me.  If someone gave me a gift and I didn't say thank you, that would be ingratitude.  That is clear and easy. What about the rest?  I write a lot about being present in the moment and appreciating the wonders of nature etc.  That is pretty easy too - when you notice a glorious sunset, it is easy to appreciate it and be grateful.  What about  tougher things? What about the gift of life?  How often do I express gratitude for my life?  Do I feel grateful for being alive - or do I focus on the problems in my life?   What about the  tough times in my life - times that teach me valuable life lessons and help me grow?  Do  I grumble and complain about how tough things are, or do I see the silver lining and be grateful that I have survived  the storm and have grown?   And to whom do I express this gratitude?  For me it is God, the universe or source.  If I don't give thanks to God for my life - then I am  indeed ungrateful. Let's be grateful for the gift of life and approach each day as a present to be unwrapped, enjoyed and appreciated. 

This is a tall order to fill, and I have a long way to go to get there, but I think I am headed in the right direction .

In gratitude,
Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment