Wednesday 30 May 2012

Flood waters

We have had an unusual amount of heavy rains the past few days.  Many  homes have been flooded and in a certain part of town, people have had to be evacuated, as sewage water has backed up  sometimes 4 feet into their basements.  Citizens have been asked to limit the use dishwashers,  and not to shower or flush in order to  reduce the amount of water going to the sewage  treatments plants as one plant has been flooded and is not functioning.  Some roads have been washed out and closed.


I have some water in my basement but not a lot and for this I am grateful.  Restricting the  use of water in the house has given me a new appreciation for all the modern conveniences we have in our home. I have been slightly inconvenienced in my home for a few days  and I know that  in other countries, clean running water isn't even available.  I realize  how privileged we are here in North America.  What we take for granted on a daily basis here, would be  a dreamt of luxury in other countries.  Just as I can't fathom how people in the third world manage on a day to day basis, I suppose they can't imagine living in the luxury we have here.

Ever so grateful for the life I have,
Margaret                                                                     
Pictures from www.theweathernetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment